Staff, together with the Welfare and Guidance Manager (Mr Richards,) work to raise the aspirations of our students to help them to develop their career thinking and reach their potential. Bordesley Green Girls’ School and Sixth Form have access to a planned careers education programme which enables the students to achieve this. The programme has been developed and is the responsibility of the Welfare and Guidance Manager, Mr Richards.
- The Welfare and Guidance Manager and Careers Offer
- BGGS Careers Policy
- CEIAG Programme for the main school
- CEIAG Programme for the 6th Form
- Careers Events
- Parents Information Evenings
- Year 10 and Year 12 Work Experience
- Our employer partners
- Useful websites
The Welfare and Guidance Manager
Mr D Richards
Mr Richards is the Welfare and Guidance Manager for the school, and he is available to meet with students and parents during the week. His office is in the 6th form in Room SF13 and he can be contacted on 0121 464 1881 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Richards is a qualified Careers Adviser with nearly twenty years' experience of providing careers education, information, advice and guidance in a variety of educational and community settings - he has worked in schools, colleges, universities and the charity sector. He has the Post Graduate Diploma in Careers Counselling and Guidance as well as the Diploma in Careers Guidance, having gained this qualification from the Institute of Careers Guidance in 2001.
When asked why he decided to train to become a careers adviser, he said that he had seen a careers adviser at the university he had attended who advised him to embark on a new career..... the rest as they say is history. I look forward to supporting and developing the careers programme in the school as well as supporting and advising the students with their career choices.
The Careers Offer
- Provide one - to - one impartial and confidential careers advice and guidance interviews to students through booked appointments and the daily drop-in service (12.50 to 1.40). Please note that parents are very welcome to attend.
- Group work delivery on a variety of topics (Please see the Careers Plan for further details)
- Higher Education guidance to include all aspects of the UCAS application cycle
- Support at parents’ information and options evenings
- Work experience support and guidance for Year 10 and Year 12 students
- Advice on all aspects of employability, including apprenticeships
- Careers Information points in the school whereby students can access up-to-date careers information, work experience information, part-time jobs and occupational information
Parents Information Evenings
Mr Richards will be present at all parents’ evenings to provide careers advice.
Year 9 Options and Parents Evening
Year 10 Parents Evening
Year 11 Parents Evening
Year 12 and Year 13 Parents Higher Education Evening in September
Year 10 and Year 12 Work Experience
Mr Richards and members of staff will be on hand to support the students in Years 10 and 12 with all aspects of the work experience process. This will include:
- Helping them to source placements and prepare them thoroughly for their work experience placement.
- Ensuring that all risk assessments are in place prior to the students starting their placements
- Visiting / contacting the students on their placements to see how they are progressing
- Evaluating the placement with the students after they have completed them
Our Employer and Higher Education partners
We work with the following organisations:-
Aston Villa Football Club
Birmingham City University
Oxford Brookes University
The National Careers Service
The Careers Enterprise Company
https://www.ucas.com - the website covers all you need to know about university and your choices
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ - job-profiles - browse over 400 job profiles
https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ - alternatives to higher education
https://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/ - information on apprenticeships
https://www.unifrog.org/ - A resource that the school uses to support its careers programme